This highly decorative folding map, printed in colours shows Munich, as it look at the end of the 19th century. In the second half of the 19th century the city expanded rapidly. The population of the city increased from 100.000 in 1854 to almost 500.000 in 1900. Several new buildings and streets were built under the patronage of Maximilian II, the King of Bavaria between 1848 and 1864, and Luitpold, Prince Regent of Bavaria, from 1886 to 1912.
The city expanded to Art Academy (Akademie der Kunst, today Akademie der Bildenden Künste München) in the north, built between 1876 and 1885. The today famous neighbourhood Schwabing north of it started developing in the next years as an art colony. On the south-east the city is limited by the East Train Station (Bahnhof München Ost), whitch opened its first line in 1871.
The buildings in the south-east are the newly built slaughter house erected between 1876- 1878 under the new health regulations, which followed the cholera outbreak of 1866.
The map can be dated between 1885 and 1890, the ante quem non marking the Art Academy from 1885 in the north. In 1890 the construction of a long street Prinzregentenstrasse begun. The street today extends from the east of the Hofgarten in the city center toward the east, over a bridge to the city district Haidhausen on the other side of Isar. On this map the street is not marked yet and the west part of the street is still marked as Liebieg Strasse.