This very rare broadside shows decoration on three houses in Nuremberg (Nürnberg) in Germany, celebrating the visit of Francis II (Franz II., 1768 – 1835), the last Holy Roman Emperor, and his wife Maria Teresa of the Two Sicilies on July 8th, just over a month after his coronation for the Holy Roman Emperor on June 6 1792.
The broadside was engraved by Friedrich Albert Annert (1759 - 1800), a cartographer and engraver from Nuremberg, and was based on a drawing by Georg Friedrich Utz (or Uz; 1742-1796). G. F. Utz was an building inspector and architect in Nuremberg and his various works, from drawing to very rare maps appear in the archives: around 1770 he made a drawing of a Carthusian Monastery in Nuremberg, in 1773 he signed as an architect on a rare separately published copper engraved map of Poland Nova mappa geographica regni Poloniæ, magni dvcatvs Litvaniæ regni et dvcatvs occidentalis Borvssiæ..., and in 1787 he made a map of the Netherlands with a title General-Karte über die VII Provinzen der vereinigten Niederlande, nebst dem Generalitæts-Lande.
The broadside was a part of the collection of August Riedinger, as marked with a collector's stamp on the back. August Riedinger (1845 – 1919) was a German businessman, a balloon manufacturer and a patron of the arts.
We could only trace two examples of this broadside in the institutions worldwide.
References: Drugulin II, 5500; Lugt 167; Müller, Erste Fortsetzung des Verzeichnisses von Nürnbergischen topographisch-historischen Kupferstichen und Holzschnitten, Nürnberg 1801, S. 30; Thieme / Becker, p. 532; Tiggesbäumker, Günter: Die Reichsstadt Nürnberg und ihr Landgebiet im Spiegel alter Karten und Ansichten. Ausstellungskatalog der Stadtbibliothek Nürnberg Nr. 97. Nürnberg: Stadtbibliothek 1986, p. 61; Britta-Juliane Kruse, Witwen: Kulturgeschichte eines Standes in Spätmittelalter und Früher Neuzeit: Kulturgeschichte Eines Standes in Spatmittelalter Und Fruher Neuzeit, 2007, p. 510; Nürnberger Künstlerlexikon: Bildende Künstler, Kunsthandwerker, Gelehrte, p. 1569.