BERLIN 1952: Berlin is calling the world. Visit the city of the Freedom Bell.
A pocket map in English language shows East in West Berlin in 1952, in the year when the border between the two halves of the city oficially closed.
Place and Year: Berlin: BAE Berliner Annoncen-Expedition GmbH 1952.
Technique: Lithograph in colour (Very Good, soft folds with tiny tears), 62 x 58,5 cm (24.4 x 23.4 inches).
A map, printed from both sides shows the main tourist attractions of East and West Berlin, with a border between two halves, where a decade later a so called Berlin Wall would be errected.
As up until 1952, the lines between East Germany and the western occupied zones could be easily crossed in most places, the inner German border officially closed in 1952. The border in Berlin still remained considerably more accessible then because it was administered by all four occupying powers. In 1955, the Soviets gave East Germany authority over civilian movement in Berlin, the new government restricted all travel to the West in 1956. One year later East Germany introduced a new passport law that reduced a large number of refugees leaving Eastern Germany.
Availability: In stock