A decoratively designed map of Ljubljana was made in 1942, when the city was occupied by Fascist Italy during WWII. It marks transportation routes, places for activities and important buildings. It also reflects the difficult position of Ljubljana during the Fascist occupation.
In 1941, at the beginning of WWII Ljubljana was annexed to Italy as a part of the Province of Ljubljana (Provincia di Lubiana), which embraced the central-southern area of Slovenia. In January 1942, Fascists started surrounding the city with a barbwire with guarded entrances to the city and heavily armed bunkers, which was built for better control of the city and to supress any resistance. At the same time Fascists started supressing the native language in the city and putting more pressure on the inhabitants of Ljubljana.
The new barbwire surrounding the city, here still under construction, is clearly marked on the map. It was finished by the end of 1942. It consisted of circa 41 km of barbwire constructions, 69 large, 53 smaller, 11 exposed, and 73 bunkers on the inner side (altogether 206).
For better control only certain streets were allowed for traffic (here marked with grey) and by August 1942 34 check points were established within the city, forming a so called inner circle, enforced with 225 chevaux de fries.
After the capitulation of Italy in 1943 the city was annexed to Germany and was liberated in May 1945. Soon afterwards the barbwire was almost entirely demolished by the angry citizens. Today the line of the barbwire is presented as a monument.