Small 4°:  with 50 musical scores and illustrations within text, original wrappers with illustrated cover (cover stained and water-stained, back cover with handwriting and embossed circular lined, tiny loss of low corner to the last pages and back cover, first blank page slightly water-stained in margins and with old hand-written dedication in Albanian, inside in a good clean condition).
This rare book is the first printed compilation of Albanian folk songs and it includes 19 folk songs from Shkodra, 15 folk songs from Korça, 7 folk songs from Kosovo, 5 folk songs from Berat, 2 folk songs from Elbasan, 1 folk song from Durres and 1 folk song from Vlorë.
The songs were collected by an Albanian composer and piano player Pjetër Dungu (1908–1989), and the preface was written by Kristaq Antoniu (1907-1979), a Romanian operetta tenor and baritone, of Albanian origins. In 1942, Antoniu recorded, accompanied by Pjetër Dungu on piano, eight songs for the Columbia Record Company in Italy.
The book was published by the Istituto Geografico De Agostini in the time of the Italilan occupation of Albania during WWII.
The enterprise was owned and operated by Giovanni De Agostoni (1863 - 1941), an esteemed Italian geographer and publisher. De Agostini trained in cartography under the legendary German mapmaker Heinrich Kiepert (1818-99), where he became proficient in scientific and thematic cartographic methods. While in Germany he published an essay on the Tierra del Fuego that gained great acclaim in the international geography community.
Upon his return to Italy, De Agostini worked at the Military Geographic Institute of Florence and at the Hydrographic Institute in Genoa. This led him to publish his pioneering scientific atlas on the Italian Alpine lakes, Atlante Limnologico.
In 1900, De Agostini first established his own map publishing house at Como, named the Stabilimento Cartografico del Dott. G. De Agostini. Some years later, he moved the company to Novara, changing its name to Istituto Geografico De Agostini, where it prospered, becoming one of the largest private cartographic studios in Italy. De Agostini specialized in the large, beautifully designed and works, such as the present map of Triese. De Agostini’s family continued the business after his death in 1941.
We could find five institutional copies (University of Oxford, Universitätsbibliothek Bamberg, Universitätsbibliothek Würzburg, Universitá di Bologna and The British Library).
References: OCLC 634588828 & 43408022.