A large, detailed separately published map of Belgrade was made in 1946, a year after the end of WWII. The keys alphabetically mark the most important public buildings in the city and all the streets, many of which were rebuilt, renumbered or rebuilt after WWII.
Before the beginning of WWII in 1941 Belgrade was a modern, fast developing city and the capital of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. In 1937, a large modern late art-deco fairgrounds was built on the left bank (here marked as Sajmište), which was supposed to host the international shows. The complex remained practically unused, when in April 1941 the Axis planes bombed Belgrade and caused the capitulation of Yugoslavia.
The fairgrounds, Sajmište, became a notorious concentration camp, where thousands of people, including a vast Serbian Jewish population perished.
Belgrade was liberated in October 20, 1944, and officially became a capital of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia the following year.
In the following years the city expanded rapidly. In 1948 a construction of a modern city, New Belgrade (Novi Beograd) started on the left bank. Our map still marks the WWII situation with barracks and the remains of the old fairgrounds and concentration camp, which stood abandoned until 1948.